I started working with Yael almost 2 years ago. She is one of the most supportive models I’ve ever worked with. She brings a certain enthusiasm and positive energy to every shoot we do that I love. I find great variety in Yael’s expressions – one moment she’s coy & sultry and the next she’s bubbly and smiling. Because I’m such a huge fan of the Inside the Actor’s Studio, I couldn’t resist asking Yael the 10 famous questions James Lipton uses.
1. What is your favorite word? Love. It’s something everyone should have in their lives. Love represents beauty, innocence, passion, amongst so many other things.. I even have the word “Love” tattooed on the inside of my right wrist.
2. What is your least favorite word? Scarf. It just looks like it’s spelled funny.
3. What turns you on? Intelligence! I’m not joking – my husband and I met on an online dating site and the main reason I ever even responded to his initial message was because he wrote with proper spelling and grammar!
4. What turns you off? Ignorance. It’s not bliss, I promise you.
Yael also has one of my favourite characteristics that I look for in a model: she’s up for anything! Even though she’s not a fan of pink or anything frilly, she fully embraced our Marie Antoinette’s Pink Palace lighting test. Man, did I have fun with my team turning her into the most delicious strumpet! There are always moments in a shoot whether you need to choose between keeping it simple and going all out and well, we just couldn’t resist going all out!
5. What sound do you love? I can’t just pick one.. The sound of my kitten purring, my husbands heart beating when we’re curled up in bed, and most of all… a soundclip of a voicemail my mom once left for one of my sisters! It’s one of the last tangible memories I have left of her.
6. What sound do you hate? Hearing other people cry. It’s heartbreaking to witness another’s pain and not be able to do anything about it.
7. What is your favorite curse word? In honor of my sister Mitzi, “Cunt”.
8. What profession other than yours would you like to attempt? Social Worker. When most kids and teens talk about their future career goals they say things like veterinarian, rockstar, or movie star… I said social worker – I want to make a difference in the world.
The 3rd shoot we did was a stark contrast to our first two; we wanted a more classic and more modern look. As cheesy as it can be sometimes to use a fan, when you have beautiful long hair it can be the perfect choice. I’m always happy when I can do different looks on a model because it totally gets the clockwork in my brain to move and create something new – nothing is worst that than doing things on constant repeat. It was also really exciting to push Yael’s boundaries by doing a full nude. I love it when my models and clients trust me enough to bare themselves so confidently.
9. What profession would you not like to do? No offense to anyone who works in the garbage pickup field but I don’t think I could ever handle that smell!
10. If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? “Welcome! Your mom, grandfathers, great grandparents, Brian and Pam are all waiting for you! Oh yeah, and here’s a martini.”
I look forward to continuing my friendship with her as well as continuing to shoot her. To see more photos of Yael Perez, follow her FB Page. Yael has also helped start a site to showcase the best that the Montreal Plus Size scene has to offer. For more details about this great site: http://www.psmontreal.com/apps/blog/
1st set of photos: mua- Gabrielle Willis
2nd set: mua- Crystal Make-Up, hair- Antoine Binet Jolicoeur
3rd set: mua- Crystal Make-Up, hair – Malina Tang