Last year I was sure that 2012 was going to be absolutely amazing and that I could shed some bad luck that I picked up in 2011. Although I was entering the new year with high hopes and a positive attitude, life had other things in store for me. What I’ve learned in the last few months was to let go of what everyone thinks is normal, follow my instincts and find the humour in otherwise negative experiences. Life is a funny thing but that’s why we laugh.
Until very recently, I’ve been very sick and lost a lot of weight. I had no energy and was in constant pain. Without going into too many details, my body is on the mend and I’m finally getting my energy back and thankfully gaining weight. The doctors still don’t know what’s wrong but I’m able to treat the symptoms through diet and a more balanced life style. I had to cut my work hours back and I had to cook all the time -which for a workaholic is a HUGE lifestyle change.
During this few months, I had more unfortunate events. I had someone break into my appartment and steal nothing, which begs the question as to why they were in my apartment. I had to have all my locks changed and get thicker curtains. It could be nothing, but I wasn’t going to take any chances. There was drama in my personal life and some creepy e-mails from weird guys online. Every week something seemed to go wrong and nothing was going as planned. I was in pain every morning and night and just waiting for the next thing to go wrong. And then I had a major break through.
What I realized was that instead of fighting all the things that were not going right, I should accept it. Instead of forcing things, just to let go and have faith that it’ll work out for the best. And it did.
It all started when I was thinking about getting a puppy. I called the breeder I was interested in and I was told there was a waiting list of 6 months to a year and I had to go through an extensive interview process to see if they would even accept me as a puppy owner. Instead of getting disappointed and hanging up, I continued chatting on the phone and found out a puppy may actually be available in 2 week. She was supposed to be a show dog but but she had an outty belly button instead of an inny so they couldn’t be accepted as a breed standard. 2 weeks! Was I ready to have a puppy that fast? Instead of worrying about it, I just said: Sign me up! Then came the waiting game, would they accept me? Would she pass her vet visit? I planned my trip to Toronto not knowing any of the answers and just hoping for the best. It was the night before I had to leave and still no word. I figured no matter what that I would have a great trip visiting friends and meeting the breeder. Only when I just gave in and went with the flow did I get the call that she was mine! And my god, she was beautiful!
I started to apply the “go with the flow” philosophy to everything else in my life. Feeling really sick in the morning? Take my time getting ready in the morning and work an hour late. All my clothes don’t fit? Pack them away so they don’t remind me that I’m sick and take time to go shopping. Feeling way to pale and exhausted? Get a fabulous new cheek illuminator that adds some life to my face.
I was feeling back on track when I had a very violating experience on the metro. Let’s just say that there are some really disgusting perverts in the world and never take the last car of the metro during rush hour. I could have gotten really depressed and upset (and trust me, I did for a few hours) or I could just put the experience in the book of stories that all start with: You won’t believe what happened once…
I turned everything around that week and swore that whenever something really disgusting, painful or depressing happens to me, that I will do something nice for someone else. I bought some of my closest friends thank you cards and wrote a quick line about how I was thankful for them. I also enclosed a very girly gift -I just couldn’t resist! I gave them the envelope and said, open it when you have a really bad day and need a pick-me up. It barely cost me anything to give these gifts but it just lifted my soul to possibly give someone a smile or a giggle when they really needed it.
Ever since I’ve been following my instincts and just going with the flow, I feel so much better! Nothing gets me down for long and I’m able to shake off the little things. I feel more inspired each day, more outgoing and finally, I feel like myself again! Although I’m still going through some difficult transitions to make my life better, I feel empowered and appreciative to all the beautiful things in life.
So THANK YOU. Thank you for making my life interesting and full of adventure and a story worth telling. I wouldn’t change a single thing.
Here are a few things that I really love these days and maybe you might love as well:
– Leopard Print Panties. Enough said. La Senza is having some amazing sales!
– Tarte’s Provocateur Amazonian Clay Shimmering Powder : It just wakes my face up! http://www.sephora.com
– Theme girl’s night out. I went to an ’80s party where our group were the only ones dressed up and I love it! The perfect opportunity to break out that tacky outfit I’ve always wanted to wear shamelessly in public.
– L’Amour Fou : A documentary on the relationship between fashion designer Yves Saint-Laurent and his lover, Pierre Berge. http://youtu.be/g65Qyau1078 ***Warning: its a real tear jerker.
– Ted Talks (now available on Netflix) : 15min talks that stir your curiosity – there’s one on almost any subject imaginable. My favourite one: http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang/en//id/482
– Buying original art. I just picked up an amazing peice by this artist I love: http://www.cateparr.com/
– Saying NO when it just doesn’t feel right.
– Hugo: It looks like a children’s movie but it is so much more. If you can get the opportunity to see it in 3D in theatres, it is so worth it. http://youtu.be/5Y6OoN1FR6Y
– LMFAO: Life is too short to take too seriously. http://youtu.be/SkTt9k4Y-a8
– Happy Hour Oysters at Maestro S.V.P! They are sooo good…. http://www.maestrosvp.com/2010/
– Mass Effect 3: Some days you just need to blow shit up. http://youtu.be/3pShKKOV_gA